On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 9:08 AM, Mike Holstein <mikeh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 9:51 AM, mentoj dija <mentoj_d...@gmx.de> wrote:
>
> i am running 10.04 lucid LTS with
> https://launchpad.net/~falk-t-j/+archive/lucid<https://launchpad.net/%7Efalk-t-j/+archive/lucid>
>  added
> (lucid has linux-rt in the repos, and falks PPA has the realtime kernels
> from
> https://launchpad.net/~abogani/+archive/ppa<https://launchpad.net/%7Eabogani/+archive/ppa>
>  )...
> the presonus firepod works great for me even at lower latency settings... i
> can usually push to 1.2msecs if needed, and around 5msecs is very stable...
> i run both an ubuntustudio 64bit install, and a 32bit vanilla ubuntu install
> that i added some ubuntustudio metapackges to... both have falks PPA
> added...
>

> --
> MH

I am running a very similar set-up with a Firepod, and get similar results
to Mike's.  It works very well.  I am also still using Lucid, and don't have
any plans to use Maverick, at least not on any machines that I need to do
serious work on.

Here are the basic steps I take to get the Firepod working, many or all of
which you've probably seen in other guides:

1) Make sure you are in the Audio group
2) Use Ubuntu Studio Controls to set the Firewire privelages.  *WARNING* Do
not use Ubuntu Studio Controls to set anything else!
3) Download the -rt kernel from the archive, or the -realtime kernel from
Abogani's PPA (which is a more up-to-date kernel, but you won't be able to
use any closed video drivers with it)
4) Make sure your JACK settings are correct.  In particular, make sure the
'Realtime' option is set.

That should get the thing started.  Here are a few troubleshooting tips if
you are getting a lot of x-runs:

-Make sure you have not adjusted any setting in /etc/security/limits.conf.
That is the wrong file, and will cause issues if you do adjustments there
(this is the file that Ubuntu Studio Controls incorrectly edits).  The
correct file is /etc/security/limits.d/audio.conf.
-Try turning off Network Manager (which will need to be installed in Lucid
if you wish to get a wireless connection).  Just right-click on the app and
uncheck 'enable networking'.

Hope some of these things help.
--
-Brian David