On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 12:00 AM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mard...@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-04-11 at 04:26 +0200, ailo wrote:
>> nvidia drivers won't work if you use a kernel that is not meant for
>> Maverick. I assume you are using a kernel for another distro.
>> nvidia drivers can be made to work of course. You would either need to
>> build them yourself, or add them manually from a repo that matches the
>> kernel (I would believe), however, I would not recommend you to do this.
>
> /etc/rcS.d
> README  S13pcmciautils  S25brltty  S37apparmor  S47lm-sensors
> S55urandom  S69switch_xorg.conf  S70x11-common
>
> I added S69switch_xorg.conf to switch between two xorg.conf. One for the
> generic Kernel + the proprietary driver added by the repositories and
> another for a self-build preemption real-time kernel:
>

> #! /bin/sh
> # /etc/rcS.d/Switch_xorg_conf
>
> rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> case $(uname -r) in
>    *rt*)
>        cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf.nv /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>        ;;
>    *)
>        cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf.nvidia /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>        ;;
> esac

Good idea above. Maybe I'll look at this after I get things settle
down and working for the most part.

snip

> We should rework and collect together solutions for problems. Perhaps
> somebody can post this at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuStudio
>
> There's no Documentation Team!
>
> Unfortunately my English is broken and I don't have that much knowledge,
> but I'm willing to write some workarounds.

I'd be willing to help with putting the workarounds in to some nice,
easy to following documentation. It's just that all the workarounds
are so disorganized and what originally worked, doesn't work now and
there is a new workaround to replace the original work around. So, by
the time I have a working system I have no idea what I actually did
that really got the system working.