Hi all,

On 23/04/11 21:16, Seattle Chaz wrote:
Last week, opensource.com hosted a web-cast, Making Music with FOSS.  I
missed it, but I was confident that the media would be archived, which
is indeed the case.  However, the media file is in the proprietary .arf
format from WebEx.  Though I searched extensively, I was unable to
locate a method for converting the file to a more usable form.

Of course, I COULD just view the materials on-line, but where's the fun
in that?  The download-able media player supports only Windows and Mac.
I was about to hold my nose and install the player when I was inspired
to attempt a Wine installation.  I downloaded the WebEx .arf Player, set
the executable permission on the .msi file and booted it under Wine.
Wine happily took it and installed it and the downloaded media played
without a hiccup.

Web-cast:
http://opensource.com/business/11/4/today-making-music-foss-webcast-2-pm-est

Webcast Playback:
https://jboss.webex.com/ec0605lc/eventcenter/recording/recordAction.do?theAction=poprecord&actname=%2Feventcenter%2Fframe%2Fg.do&apiname=lsr.php&renewticket=0&renewticket=0&actappname=ec0605lc&entappname=url0107lc&needFilter=false&&isurlact=true&entactname=%2FnbrRecordingURL.do&rID=38196012&rKey=c2223d52c482e824&recordID=38196012&rnd=8047439081&siteurl=jboss&SP=EC&AT=pb&format=short

WebEx Player: http://www.webex.com/play-webex-recording.html

I'd like to watch the webcast too.

But hang on a second folks, we're free software advocates, aren't we? So why are we trying to find work-arounds, when the problem is that a webcast about free software should have been published in a free format?

Surely it would make more sense for us, as a group, to say to the publisher something like, "This is no good, please can you find a way of publishing that meets the needs of your target audience, as this clearly doesn't."

Would anyone care to join me in this?

Mark