Hi Giuliano,

On May 4, 2011 7:40am, Giuliano Braglia <forever...@gmail.com> wrote:
I've been browsing through old threads but i haven't been able to understand...

In natty (but also in maeverik, and I guess also in future upgrades) there is no rt kernel available.

There are PPA's available with real time kernels available and I would expect even for Natty. I believe Falktx's PPA is one of these and well maintained at that.

Would they work even without it? In Lucid I tried to start without rtkernel and I had a lot of Xruns in Jack.

Absolutely you can start and run JACK well without a real time kernel.

I want to point out that a real time kernel is not a panacea, simply installing it will not make every system run perfectly. You still need to need to adjust your settings in JACK to accommodate your hardware. This might mean increasing your latency from 2.9msecs (for example) to 11.2msecs (for example) to find a stable latency without xruns.

Additionally, you did not specify how you installed your audio packages, ie if you did a fresh install from a Ubuntu Studio DVD or just added the packages to a vanilla Ubuntu install. If you did the later you will still need to add your user to the audio group and you should have installed JACK so that it could use real time privileges. Without these you would suffer performance degradation.

I should point out that using a -generic kernel does not preclude installing JACK with real time privileges. As noted above, I would advise that JACK have these privileges, even with the -generic kernel, or it will suffer poor performance and additional xruns.

I have found that the -generic kernel provides very acceptable stable latencies.

Regards,
ScottL