On May 4, 2011 9:32am, Giuliano Braglia <forever...@gmail.com> wrote:

There are PPA's available with real time kernels available and I would expect even for Natty. I believe Falktx's PPA is one of these and well maintained at that.

I don't know what a PPA is :p

PPA is an acronym for Personal Package Archive. This lets people package and build applications in their own personal repositories. These are very similar to the official repositories (like Main, Restricted, Universe, Multiverse) in Ubuntu.

You can add PPA's to your sources.list file and install applications from there. It is suggested that you should use caution and only use trusted PPA's as not all will have functioning applications or will be maintained well.

Here is a link that you can read more about PPA's: https://help.launchpad.net/Packaging/PPA

> Would they work even without it? In Lucid I tried to start without rtkernel and I had a lot of Xruns in Jack.

Additionally, you did not specify how you installed your audio packages, ie if you did a fresh install from a Ubuntu Studio DVD or just added the packages to a vanilla Ubuntu install. If you did the later you will still need to add your user to the audio group and you should have installed JACK so that it could use real time privileges. Without these you would suffer performance degradation.

Actually I'm on a Ubuntu properly modified following a guide made by an italian guy, do you think that, in future, I should install a complete Ubuntu Studio?

I have found that some people feel very passionate about this questions. I personally appreciate the complete Ubuntu Studio install as it reduces the amount that I have to tinker with my system. Others prefer to add their packages as required because it allows them to moderate their system to better serve their needs.

If you have a system that works for you then I would suggest staying with it. But you may try a full install once and see if it works better for you.

In some instances there are people that choose to start with a Ubuntu install first for technical reasons that might have been resolved in later Ubuntu Studio releases. I am specifically thinking about networking and wifi. In past Ubuntu Studio releases we shipped gnome-network-admin which had difficulty with setting wifi, therefore some might have started with a vanilla Ubuntu install before it shipped with network-manager which worked brilliantly for wiki. Ubuntu Studio has recently moved to using network-manager as well, so the reasoning for their installation process may not exists anymore.

Again, it's still a personal decision.

Regards,
ScottL