On Sun, 2012-08-26 at 01:06 -0400, Melvin Ray Herr wrote:
> "and this is very time consuming to learn"
>
> In general, the more versatile the tool, the more time consuming it is
> to learn. I learned to use "paint" effectively in just a few minutes
> and after several years I'm still learning how to use "photoshop".
> However, I can now whip out a design that "paint users" haven't ever
> even dreamed about and do it in just a few minutes.
>
> So my advice is...
>
> If neu.Draw does what you need it to do, great! use it! If it doesn't,
> then get used to the idea of needing to spend some time learning to
> use the tools that do work.
>
> Another example that I'm sure you can relate to. If you want basic
> quick recording of audio, use audacity. If you need more, use ardour,
> but expect it to require a learning curve.

I didn't need much time to use GIMP and Ardour2. Well, today they change
GIMP with every release and it becomes less good usable and I'm for sure
not the only one who dislikes new versions of GIMP, however it's still
usable within some minutes. I heard that new versions of Photoshop
should also be less good usable, the artists I know use oldish versions
of Photoshop and they payed a lot of money for the upgrades, but only
get useless special FX. I don't know any artist using vector graphics,
but seemingly a lot of artists use vector graphics.
IMO there are intuitive workflows, e.g. using Ardour2 is near to the
usage of analog gear. I didn't had issues using old Photoshop and old
GIMP myself and never heard of somebody having issues.
The people I know and myself started making music and drawing before
computers were available for everybody and later in the 80s I started
making music with a C64, then with the Atari, serious drawing wasn't
possible at that time.
Perhaps the workflows nowadays aren't made for people of my generation.
OTOH I suspect that also young people switched to Xfce ;), to get back
an old faithful workflow.

So my criticism isn't about the complexity, but the workflow.

FWIW the workflow already starts with how to handle startup and I
suspect that a lot of old computer users soon or later will drop Linux.
It might be that at least 'm just a dino.

On Sun, 2012-08-26 at 01:13 -0400, Melvin Ray Herr wrote:
example of what inkscape can create/edit.

> http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Inkscape0.45.png

No doubt about it, this isn't a deformed animal, but it's still airbrush
like. A painting like this by airbrush or by brush or by a pixel drawing
app does take a long time too. I've got doubts that the outlines where
drawn directly with a mouse. It looks a lot like a classic drawing,
perhaps it was traced against a drawing or photo.

Regards,
Ralf