On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 10:28 AM, Gord L Williams <i...@gordlwilliams.com>wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> I have had reaction to some comments I have made,  and I have to say
> everyone has acted in a very gentile manner.   Its good when we have
> manners and can express our thought.   Perhaps thats why we are hear rather
> than opening the box and dancing with the latest iPhone or Windows device.
>
> My comments where about not being able to move freely (FOSS) between
> desktops and choice your poison - yes including imperfect bloatware.  Unity
> anyone?  Gnome?   -  I actually like Gnome 3 because it presents those I
> will call,  dancing people,  with a desktop that has a beat,  for them.
>  "Its cool and I can dance to it."  to get American Bandstand about it.
>
> I was in no way attempting to take a swipe at anyone.  I think most of you
> got that,  but apparently some people read things sideways. You can expect
> that, if you make statements.  Probably why I will never be in politics.
>
> If it was a perfect world,  any distribution would be the same in intent,
>  regardless of desktop,  meaning menus and software would be the same.  In
> my crazy world I envision ubuntu - astronomy,  which of course you can say
> the prospects are looking up for.   Wait the big jokes come later....
>
> I see this as an advantage over  dancing peoples devices and os's. Tell us
> what you are and we have something for you already. Perhaps its as easy as
> having interest groups modify based on available software,   they choose
> semi pro stuff like Ardour which seems to be tin-cup ware now,   and truly
> FOSS. But that may not be the desire.
>
> Ubuntustudio does a great job of being a studio.  No knocks at all.   I do
> not record at a studio professionally for a number of reasons.  The setups
> and the bookings take time,  and your a number is one reason.  I have
> recorded in a professional hardware based studio and I managed the talent
> for that, so my reasoning isn't superfluous.  Sitting on the stool talking
> into a $3000 microphone is a kick,  but doesn't bring it home economically.
>   Studio time like that costs and has to be rolled into the price.
>
> I have alway been about bringing that cost down,  and very Ubuntu about
> what I do.  "If a traveler wanders into a village,  the village will see to
> his needs without a thought as to what they need."   I believe Nelson
> Mandella close enough.
>
> My point is if you can encourage more people to explore their talent as a
> photographer,  graphic artist, and media producer,  the world will be
> better.  If the distribution fits more people,  if they can make sense of
> it without a huge learning curve and yes,  if they can dance around the
> open box,  so to speak,  as humans tend to do then maybe we have something.
>   We have something,  not just the geeks that watch their machine
> efficiently eat up compute cycles for bragging rights.  Thats already
> there,  enjoy your command line.
>
> Often there is great resistance to the paradigm shifting,  and there are
> [...]

ubuntustudio either fits your needs or it doesnt. it is what it is, and
cant be what its not. one thing ubuntustudio does well is make sure that
multimedia packages and meta packages are available and maintained in the
default ubuntu repos. these are used by the ubuntustudio distro, but they
can always (and usually quite easily) be added into whatever desktop anyone
chooses to use, as well as in the spin-offs such as mint. if a user wants
unity, they can install the main vanilla ubuntu and add what they want from
the ubuntustudio pacakges. users are able to and encouraged to do so, and
also, able to and encouraged to test, and make sure that things are working
in other environments and report (constructively and properly) bugs and
issues. there has been some great efforts made to make sure that
ubuntustudio could be installed with several different desktops as well as
many workflows.

as a user, its important to keep what is opinion separated from the facts.
is ubuntustudio the best? i think it is, because i prefer it and it fits my
needs well, but there are many other opensource options that utilize and
provide the same tools, and well as many commercial offerings that offer
ways to get the same work done... its really up to the individual to
determine what is the best fit.. we all know that ubuntustudio is quite
capable.

cheers and i hope you enjoy!

MH

mikeholstein.info <http://www.mikeholstein.info/>