On Sat, 20 Aug 2016 13:07:31 -0500, Eddie Coffey wrote:
>On Sat, Aug 20, 2016 at 12:38 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> On Sat, 20 Aug 2016 10:36:43 -0500, Eddie Coffey wrote:
>> >I appologize, I turned off the wifi switch on the laptop and didn't
>> >know it. I'm a dumbass:-((((
>>
>> I was quite sure that my first guess is correct. I never owned a
>> laptop myself, but I'm the "neighbourhood geek" who fixes all the
>> neighbour's Windows issues. The disabled wifi issue is a wide spread
>> issue, fortunately on Windows a window pops up, that explains what
>> to do. Unfortunately my neighbours still need me, to read the
>> content of the window, which is written in our native language,
>> German and to push the laptop's button for them.
>
>Well after this humbling experience today. I want to say thanks to you
>and all the others who take the time on this list to help others. The
>funny thing is I am considered the computer geek for a lot of my
>friends and family, although i don't possess nothing like the
>knowledge you and others on the list posses. In my defense, this is
>the first new laptop i have ever owned and the first one with a wifi
>switch. I knew it was there, but forgot about it, and i did the exact
>opposite that i tell everybody..... check the obvious first. Iv'e been
>running ubuntu since they used to ship it you for free from South
>Africa... i think it was 5.1, and switched to studio sometime around
>2007. Enough of me clogging up the list. thanks once again:-)

Hi,

consider to add a feature request to https://bugzilla.gnome.org/ .
IMO networkmanager should recognize a laptop's disabled wifi, since
Linux hardware info provides the information that wifi is available,
but disabled. At least Windows and iOS inform users about turned off
wifi. I wonder that a Linux tool, at least the networkmanager's GUI
tools don't do the same. Maybe the feature request should be filed
against the network-manager-applet, also https://bugzilla.gnome.org/
and plasma-nm applet at https://bugs.kde.org/ . Maybe it's just related
to xfce4-notifyd, then the appropriate bug tracker for a feature
request would be https://bugzilla.xfce.org/ . I don't know. Likely you
should file a feature request against networkmanager and mention what
desktop environment and tool/applet you are using.

I'm neither using networkmanager, nor wifi, my Linux used PPPoE and now
DHCP by cable link and connects to the Internet by simple shell scripts
started by systemd units.

Regards,
Ralf