On Mon, 2016-12-26 at 12:32 +0000, Pietro Bergamo wrote:
> Hi.
> In my (not so big) experience, "fluid" tempos and pulses are really
> hard to sync, as Ralf said.
> I recorded recently a song with many tempo/measure changes and I
> couldn't find any way to make organically. In the end, I kind of
> cheated. On a rallentando, for instance, I split the measures in
> several pieces so that the metronome would count the eight notes or
> the sixteenth notes, thus making it easier to follow the pulse when
> recording. For each situation, I tried to find a (often different)
> solution. But I prepared the whole tempo track all in numbers, not
> through any kind of tapping or beat detection.
> For me, tapping the tempo (or recording an audio with it) doesn't
> work very well because I find it hard to replicate the intention I
> had when I'm playing a different instrument. I find it even harder
> when other people are going to play. An "artificial" tempo is, for
> me, always easier to predict, making the recording more precise and
> demanding less editing. In the end, I think it sounds more natural
> this way.
> But, as I said, I'm not that experienced, so maybe there are better
> solutions out there.
> I hope this was of some help.
> Best regards,
> Pietro

I don't really see how an "artificial" pulse can sound more natural
than a human one, but that isn't really an option for what I am trying
to do in any case.  The pieces I want to record are my own compositions
(dating back half a century in some cases!) and I know exactly how I
want them to be played, much as a conductor will know exactly the
variations and subtleties of tempo (s)he wants.  I don't think I shall
have any difficulty keeping with the recorded pulse - after all, once
one instrument is recorded then playing the second instrument and
staying with the first is only what musicians without a conductor do
all the time.  And, as I said, in my head I know already how this music
"should" go.

What I wanted to acheive was simply to get the midi beats to correspond
(roughly) to the actual beats of the music itself - rits, accelerandos
and all.  The purpose of this is just to make it easier navigating in,
say, qtractor: if I want to make a change at beat 3 of bar 246 then it
will be easy to find.

As I said, I can probably do this with a Python program, but I didn't
want to spend time writing that if there is something available
already.  The program would need a track consisting only of beats.
 This click-track could be recorded before or after the first track of
actual music has been recorded - the pros and cons of that choice have
nothing to do with what I wanted to do with it.  I wasn't suggesting
that I would necessarily want to play by trying to follow an artificial
click track: the click track could be recorded before or after the
recording of one or more music tracks.

Anyway, thanks for your interest and comments.

David