This may well be a completely daft question, but if so, please tell me
nicely.

I want to record a track (using a midi keyboard and qtractor, probably)
as a control track for performing subsequent tracks.  So this first
track would perhaps simply be a wood-block or cow bell voice marking
the beats of my intended performance, complete with idiosyncrasies and
variations of pulse.

What I would like to do then is to convert that track to an actual
timing track, so that the beats (and bars) shown in qtractor etc.
correspond to the actual beats and bars of the performance.  This will
make it much easier to navigate around the file later on.  The timing
track would consist of a new tempo every beat, reflecting the detailed
timing of the original track.

I can probably do this with a Python program in conjunction with
midicsv.

But I am sure other people must want to do this sort of thing at times,
so perhaps there is already something I could use to achieve what I
want without having to write my own program.  Perhaps the facility is
already there in qtractor or some other application.

Suggestions, please.

David