Hi Mac,Are you by any chance using a USB audio interface?I get a dummy device
in PA control if my USB audio device is not switched on before boot up (or at
least before login). I have to restart with it switched on and then everything
is fine.Chris
-------- Original message --------From: Mac <macdroi...@gmail.com> Date:
10/06/2019  7:34 pm  (GMT+00:00) To: Ubuntu Studio Users
<ubuntu-studio-users@lists.ubuntu.com> Subject: Re: [ubuntu-studio-users]
Updates for June 2019 So, since I was running 18.04 I figured I'd get up to
date since 18.10 is getting end of life.So, on my desktop I did the backport
purge and then did do-release-upgrade twice. And I now have a working desktop
on 19.04. No errors, smooth upgrade. Sound works as before. Cool!But (you knew
there was a but, right?), did the same on my laptop, no errors. But, no audio
devices, the PA Volume control shows only a dummy device on the Output Devices
(though, I get an AudioIPC Server on the Playback tab when I play from say
YouTube in a browser and it shows sound.) JACK won't start, UBS Controls does
not complain about anything.Audio worked fine with with 18.04 and the UBS
Controls backport...Where do I look for clues?MacOn Thu, Jun 6, 2019 at 5:13 PM
Erich Eickmeyer <eeickme...@ubuntu.com> wrote:Updates for June 2019

We
 hope that Ubuntu Studio 19.04’s release has been a welcome update for
our users. As such, we are continuing our work on Ubuntu Studio with our
 next release scheduled for October 17, 2019, codenamed “Eoan Ermine”.

Bug Fix for Ubuntu Studio Controls

 bug identified in which the ALSA-Jack MIDI bridge was not surviving a
reboot was fixed and updated in Ubuntu 19.04. As such, please make sure
all of your packages are up-to-date.

New Features Coming to Ubuntu Studio Controls

We have already done a lot of work to Ubuntu Studio Controls for 19.10, and as
such we have several new features already landing:

Multiple PulseAudio Bridges (for routing of individual applications)In-Window
Jack Status IndicatorDSP Usage MeterQuick-links to QASMixer, Carla, and
PulseAudio Control

These
 features are currently available in Eoan Ermine’s daily ISO images.
After we have determined there has been sufficient testing (or 19.10 is
released, whichever comes first), we will backport this version of
Ubuntu Studio Controls to our backports PPA.

LSP-Plugins Coming to Ubuntu Studio 19.10

The Linux Studio Plugins Project
 is a collection of  91 Ladspa, LV2, and VST audio plugins compatible
with Carla, Ardour, and other DAWs. These plugins are to be included by
default in Ubuntu Studio 19.10, and are currently available in the Backports
PPA for 18.04, 18.10, and 19.04. If you feel as though Ubuntu Studio is lacking
in audio plugins, this should no longer be the case.

For a full list of plugins available, check out the official documentation.

Other Items in the Backports PPA

Removed
 ubuntustudio-gnome-branding from ubuntustudio-installer as people
without the default GNOME Ubuntu were installing it, undesirably
pulling-in GNOME packages.The
 default wallpaper for 19.04 was slightly “fixed” and is available to
18.04 and 18.10 in the “ubuntustudio-disco-wallpapers” package, along
with a version without the Ubuntu Studio logo in the lower-right corner.An
updated package of the Calf Studio Gear plugins to 0.90.2 for 18.04, 18.10, and
19.04

Ubuntu Studio 18.10 END-OF-LIFE Coming on July 18th, 2019

If you have not already upgraded from Ubuntu Studio 18.10 to 19.04, you have
just over a month left to do so
 before Ubuntu Studio 18.10 reaches End-Of-Life and will no longer be
supported. Ubuntu 18.10 and all official flavors reach End-Of-Life on July 18,
2019. Mark your calendar and upgrade as soon as possible!

Upgrading is available via the Software Updater and the command line
“do-release-upgrade” tool.

If you have added the Backports PPA, please install and run ppa-purge tool
before upgrading for the best upgrade experience:

sudo apt install ppa-purgesudo ppa-purge ppa:ubuntustudio-ppa/backports--