El mar, 08-01-2008 a las 10:55 +0000, Matthew East escribió:
> On Jan 7, 2008 8:54 PM, Efrain Valles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Dear all:

{snip}

> > I have a simple question. Can anyone translate to a specific language
> > from another language other than English?.
>
> {snip}
>
> > Now I know what this would represent.
> >
> > 1) a translation that depends on a translation and therefore it may not
> > be as faithful to the original.
>
> I think this is the major problem - by translating from translations
> you vastly increase the changes of meaning getting "lost in
> translation", i.e. deviating from the original meaning. I can't think
> of any way to prevent this from happening, so I think it's an
> acceptable solution to make it obligatory to translate from a single
> source language.

Could there be a special consideration in places where English speakers
are not that many? Many of the people that are planning to help out with
translations (Guajiro Communities) don't speak English. and the number
of English speakers in the LoCo team are not that very many. There will
be English speakers but they don't handle the target language
(wayünaiiki) therefore there is a gap. Spanish seems to be the bridge
for some translations.

Thank you all for your valuable contributions.

this really helps the guc translation team.

--
Efrain Valles
Ubuntu-ve LoCo Team Contact