On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 10:34:55AM +0100, Matthew East wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 9:37 PM, Steve Langasek
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > For the final release, the "release notes" document known upgrade/install
> > issues, so it's important that users consistently get this same
> > documentation when they click on the 'release notes' button, regardless of
> > language choice.  I'm happy to see other documentation contributed which
> > promotes Ubuntu (although I think it would be better for everyone if we
> > could agree on making the content match), but this NoteDiRilascio page
> > should not be linked as the 8.04 release notes in Italian.  Would it be
> > possible for you to translate those release notes as well?

> While I understand your point about ensuring that the known
> upgrade/install issues are properly documented, I have a certain
> amount of sympathy for what the Italian team has done, which appears
> to be to make a more "user-friendly" version of the release notes. I
> think it's probably true to say that the release notes currently come
> across as a bit technical, and I've seen complaints about that here:

> http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/5580/

> Am I right that there is currently a separate approach towards
> producing technical release notes and a more "marketable" set of
> release features with the marketing team? If so, is there any way to
> merge these approaches to produce a user-friendly release document
> which includes the detail of known upgrade/install issues? If so, is
> it desirable?

I don't believe this is desirable, no.  The purpose of the 'release notes'
link in the installer is to ensure that users can get access to the errata
information that could significantly impact their ability to install, or to
use the system once installed.  Putting this in the same document where we
try to tell users about why they should try the great new version of Ubuntu
is a mixed message. :)

So yes, by all means let's ensure that there's a user-friendly document at
release time that talks up the features; but I don't see that any good would
come from trying to merge this with the errata list.

Cheers,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]