El dc 20 de 10 de 2010 a les 10:50 +0900, en/na Fumihito YOSHIDA va
escriure:
> Hi David and all,
>
> For brainstorming, I propose yet another tasks. So,
>
>   -  Do we need Onomasticon ?
>   -  Do we need "English = English translation" ?
>
> > I just wanted to let you know about the blueprint I've just drafted for
> > a UDS session to discuss an effort to make the Ubuntu Code of Conduct
> > (CoC) and Leadership Code of Conduct translatable [1].
> >
> > From the summary:
> >
> > "We want to provide the Code of Conduct (CoC) and the Leadership Code of
> > Conduct (LCoC) in anyone's own language, and we want to enable the
> > community to translate it.
>
> We (Japanese LoCo) had translate CoC already( http://bit.ly/9WJ80c ).
> In translation works, we face some challenges about CoC/LCoC terms.
>
> Do we need Onomasticon ? :
>
>  - CoC has some {philosophical implications, Ubuntu governance term}.
>    For example, "Ubuntu governance bodies". We need long discussion about
>    this term, because we have to analyze , "it include nuance? Or, is it
>    proper name?(like Community Council?) "
>    In this case, we check Jono's blog[1] and other documents, but it is
>    heavy to dicisions. But if we had proper name lists, we can work easily.

Hi Fumihito,

Thanks a lot for your input.

If I understand you correctly, I believe you are referring to the
creation of a global glossary for translation terms.

I personally think that this is something that every team should take
care of, and it is something that we recommend to be in their
translation guidelines [1], as only the people familiar with the given
language know best which terms and how they need to be translated.

However, I do see the value in creating a global glossary that teams
could use as a template and simply translate.

There were efforts in that direction some time ago:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-translators/2009-December/003170.html

If this is an area you believe to be important, and would like to see it
improved, I'd very much encourage you to revive that effort, or lead a
new project to create a global translation glossary (or memory) for all
teams. I'll certainly be glad to help, as I'm sure other people on the
list will be.

> Do we need "English = English translation" ?  :
>
>  - For translation works, many "paraphrase" creates good translations.
>    (see also: "Paraphrasing Social from the start"[2])
>
> Any ideas?

Again, that is something that needs to be discussed within each team.
We, in Catalan, for example tend to adhere to the practice of trying to
translate everything and not rely on English terms, where it applies
(e.g. we translate "software" to "programari", but we do not translate
e.g. "Rhythmbox")

Regards,
David.

[1]