On Thu, 2006-12-14 at 07:01 +0000, tim wrote:
> use apt-get in this case.

Er, no, don't do that. Quoting [0] on the subject of using apt-get

"Please note - this method is much less reliable. If you use this
method, you MUST be prepared to fix problems manually, such as packages
being unexpectedly removed, apt crashing unexpectantly, etc. Using
Update Manager (see above) is likely to be much less problematic."

> >> $ gksudo "update-manager -c -d"

Or that. You *will* end up on feisty if you do that right now.

> >> It certainly worked for me.

20:41 < popey> !worksforme
20:41 < ubotu> Common Sense: Just because you can, does not mean you
should. Think before you do. "Works for me" does not mean it is ok. The
latest version of everything is not always useful if you aim for
stability.

> > I've never used the above, but how can I do the same thing remotely with
> > just an ssh terminal connection? I look after a machine that is almost
> > 300 miles away!

Firstly, to Tony, why do you want to upgrade a machine 300 miles away.
Assuming it's on Dapper, what is there in Edgy that your mum has a
burning need for?

You not going to see her at xmas? :)

If you really need to upgrade the machine then I would either ssh into
it using -X to enable X forwarding and run update manager which would
then make it appear on your desktop. I think you need to enable x
forwarding on her machine first in /etc/ssh/sshd_config.

Alternatively ssh to her machine and setup a tunnel with -L and then get
her to enable remote desktop and use rdesktop at your end to view her
desktop via the ssh tunnel. Then run the update manager.

Obviously whichever method you use it could still break, and break badly
so you can't get back in. If your mum is a novice user she likely won't
be able to fix it, and the resultant lengthy phone conversation might be
more painful than just going home :)

I speak from experience because my brothers computer is running dapper,
there's no way I would remotely upgrade it and potentially leave him
with a broken PC.

Just my 2p.

Cheers,
Al.