On 12/02/07, James Tait <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Robin Menneer wrote:
> You also need to carefully define your target eg the huge population of
> semi-bored computer-illiterates might be more productive than
> experienced-with-windows men-in-the-street ?

You may very well be right.  I think especially with people who are not
already seasoned/regular computer users and are just deciding to venture
in to this brave new world and buy a PC at home for the first time, one
very important question they will ask is "What do you use?", shortly
followed by "Why?".  I think this type of campaign would be particularly
effective for these people.

That's not to say that I don't think it has a potential audience among
the Windows-faithful.  I still believe that Vista is an opportunity for
Ubuntu to come to the fore, with people who would normally have said
"I'm buying a PC, therefore I'll get/need a copy of Windows" now pausing
for a moment to consider the alternatives.  Again, such a campaign
would, I think, prove effective.  I do have regular Windows users asking
me about Linux and I'm more than happy to tell them what it is and why I
use it.  It hasn't yet resulted in any full-blown conversions, but the
message is beginning to get across.

> And once they get the
> message, they will tell their grandchildren.

Indeed.  Up until now, conventional wisdom has suggested that having a
PC means running Windows.  With more visibility to those not already
acquainted with FLOSS and more positive association, I think we will see
a snowball effect.

JT

Promoting GNU Linux I've always found to be on a case by case basis with
most
even after discussion preferring to stick with the devil they know.

Over the years I have had success with complete converts and limited success
with others, getting them to use apps like Firefox and Open Office on their
Windows machines. Best success I've found is appealing to peoples wallets,
security benefits and showing people the alternate day to day apps for web
browsing,
office work, email, chat etc. that they would get on a GNU Linux system; the
fact
the Ubuntu desktop looks nice and is simple eases a lot of peoples fears and
helps
with making people comfortable. Though I will note that I do drop the
default panel
layout and change it to be more Windows with a single panel at the bottom of
the
screen.

Vista I do not see as that much of an opportunity but a greater threat to
GNU Linux
than XP was. I currently run two Vista systems and both are very good and
stable.

One thing that does erk me sometimes is people who push the thousands of
apps
in the repositories when most normal folks only use a small core of
applications. A real
annoyance is when people fire up synaptic and see what are quite frankly
rubbish
descriptions for apps and libs etc. that sometimes leave even me wondering
what
the hell is that really.

Regards

Phil