Tony Travis wrote:
> alan c wrote:
>> norman wrote:
>>> I believe that the very laudable efforts in promoting the use of Ubuntu
>>> need to be tempered with an element of caution. As far as I can tell,
>>> the server application is well covered and taken care of and my concern
>>> is with the desktop user, of which I am one.
>>>[...]
>>>
>>> Norman
>>
>> I concur with your view, and sympathise, counting myself fortunate
>> that so far - as far as I know, I have not had similar problems,
>> though I do have an important machine with a scanner - via usb -
>> rarely used, I will need to check it. When I have time.
>> [...]
>
> Hello, Norman and Alan.
>
> Have you ever upgraded Windows?
>
> Or MacOS?
>
> Believe me, Debian/Ubuntu is much, much easier to upgrade!
>
> However, I use 6.06.1 LTS for all the reasons you mention :-)

Personally I can handle it, and I agree absolutely about windows (not
used Mac)  - for me windows was something I could never trust and
caused a lot of worry. That why I use Linux. Linux added 10 years to
my life!

However my point was that since I am in the voluntary 'business' of
active advocacy, I am aware that if novices install (Ubuntu) and then
need support, they will not get it yet from a Friend or Family Member
(FOFM) as they currently do using windows - except me! and my skill is
spread pretty thin.

So I can see myself possibly holding back and not encouraging some of
my contacts into Ubuntu, because from what I know (about them) they
will have no support. (FOFM).

My expectation is that this will change with time, soon I hope.
--
Kubuntu user#10391