Alan Pope wrote:
> Hi Tony,
>
> On Wed, 2007-06-20 at 22:41 +0100, Tony Travis wrote:
>> Have you ever upgraded Windows?
>> Or MacOS?
>>
>> Believe me, Debian/Ubuntu is much, much easier to upgrade!
>
> A very good point. I think often we take for granted some of the
> features of Linux (specifically Ubuntu) that are just light years ahead
> of Windows.
>
> * Software installs. A straightforward way to install, remove and
> upgrade individual packages and their dependants. Something Windows
> doesn't have and never has.
>
> * Release upgrades. As Tony points out, Windows upgrades are pretty
> painful. A significant number of applications break after an upgrade, at
> least comparable with the issues reported by Norman. Note it's just not
> possible to boot an XP kernel on Vista to resolve a "scanner not
> working" issue as he had.
>
> Worth noting that as a result of it upgrading well, and because Ubuntu
> runs on lower spec hardware, people are _more_ likely to upgrade than
> under Windows where the hardware requirements go up tremendously with
> each release. The vast majority of Windows users never upgrade their
> operating systems so when they move to Ubuntu and complain when
> something breaks in an upgrade, they often don't have a comparison under
> Windows because they've never done it.
>
> * Fast installs. Installing Ubuntu is way faster than Windows. Even
> installing from a recovery CD is painfully slow. Some suggest as a
> counter argument that "nobody ever installs windows" (due to it being
> pre-installed) which is of course incorrect. Many Windows users
> reinstall their desktops repeatedly during the life of one computer,
> often due to malware infestations, viruses and general system slowness.
>
> * Upgrades of _all_ software in one go. I recently _had_ to install XP
> (to apply a BIOS update) and once the product recovery CD had done it's
> work (which incidently took around 4 times longer than an Ubuntu install
> on the same host - and installed one 5th of the amount of data/apps)
> there were applications shouting at me to update them. With Ubuntu you
> just have one little icon to worry about - the update icon on the task
> bar.
>
> * Flexible installs. With Ubuntu you can take a backup of your /home,
> and a list of packages you have installed and can reinstall (or install
> a new version) and get back to a running system very easily. I did this
> recently. I plugged a USB hard disk into my ubuntu laptop, booted to
> recovery mode and copied the entire /home onto the drive. I wiped the
> internal disk, installed XP (as detailed above) and then copied my /home
> back from the USB drive. All my data, settings and preferences were
> retained.
>
> * Moving disks to another machine. I recently had a motherboard failure
> in my wifes old computer. I just yanked the IDE hard disk out and put it
> [...]

Nicely put! I totally agree. However, in 'marketing' Ubuntu I am aware
of some people who use a friend or family member for windows help, but
would not have this if the used Ubuntu. Hopefully time will change things.

I try to target my advocacy more to the FOFM for this reason, because
they will influence five others.
Groups and forums are my FOFM!
--
alan cocks