** Matthew Larsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2007-09-06 13:40]:
> On 06/09/07, John Levin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Michael Holloway wrote:
> > > Additionally, if anyone knows of good recruitment methods for the above,
> > > i would love to hear it!
> >
> > Go straight to the source:
> >
> > "As a new feature, we are beginning to list Ubuntu related job
> > opportunities offered by employers other than Canonical. If you are an
> > employer offering Ubuntu related work, please contact
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]"
> >
> > http://www.ubuntu.com/employment
> >
> > John
> I'm interested, but currently doing a placement year then got another
> year at uni (comp sci at Manchester). If you dont mind waiting until
> 2009 drop me an e-mail and i'l forward my CV :-)
>
> Regards,
>
> PS Your not the only one with this problem. Most companies are having
> problems recruiting grads (esp in IT). There are something like 100
> grads to a job but employers are still having trouble filling
> positions because 99.99% of those grads are rubbish.
> --
> Matthew G Larsen
** end quote [Matthew Larsen]

Back when I graduated, so that's back in 1989, the best way to get a job
in IT was to have nothing whatsoever to do with IT in terms of
education. I've no idea what things are like now, but at that time it
was easier for somebody with a degree in geography, history or cultural
sciences to get a job in IT than it was for me with a degree in
mathematical sciences (including computing). The idea was that they the
new starter would then have no outdated or preconceived ideas and could
be trained up once they had started. It really annoyed me when I was
trying very hard to get a break in IT, and was putting myself through a
C/C++ evening class, that a friend of mine who had graduated in cultural
sciences and hated computers, was being trained in C/C++ by her
employer. It was the only way to get a promotion and she was planning to
get out of computing as quickly as possible - talk about wasting money
on training!!

I can relate to the original posters comment on MCSE holder too. I
woudn't like to generalise too much, but those that I have known have
had no real interest in computers other than a fast track into
management. As such they haven't really taken any more interest in their
work than is strictly needed to pass the exam, and once back in the
workplace it is more about playing the political game than actually
gettgin the job done.

If / when I get to the point of needing an extra member of staff (I'd
love one now, but there's no money!) I'm dreading the prospect of
actually finding a decent one.

Another issue I've come across too many times in the past is the lack of
a true understanding of the business impact of IT and/or of making a
mistake when applying a fix or upgrade. This side tends to have the
black mark on the side of the techie though - the one who makes a change
without fully thinking through the impact of it going wrong. Things
like:

o problem - duplicate of every icon on an OS/2 desktop
o fix - delete on of each icon
o result - all icons vanish
o final fix - reinstall from scratch

o action - applying permissions to NT server directory
o mistake - filter permissions down without thinking
o result - all permissions wiped and no end users can access data

Just two that come to mind :)

Oh, I almost forgot my persona favourite - the point and click 'expert'.
I won't list it here, but I did blog it some time ago here:

http://www.linuxlore.co.uk/cgi/weblog.pl/2005/11/08#experts

Sorry about the scary photo, I should revamp things and either update or
remove it. It was taken many years ago in the office when I was with
SmoothWall!