On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 23:27:46 +0000
andy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> My recommendation (based on ~50GB on data) would be to setup a NAS
> with mirrored RAID1 disks.  Have two partitions on each disk.  Have a
> weekly backup that you store for 8 weeks, and a keep every 4th image
> for a month.  Then set it up to rsync with your directories you need.

That strikes me as an overly complicated solution. Why store multiple
copies of the same data on the same drive (or drives if you've got an
array of them)? I can understand why you would want multiple copies in
different places for redundancy, but all copies have the same point
of failure if they're in the same place.

If the desired attribute is to store revisions then why not use an
actual version control system, rather than an ad hoc and fairly
crude one. You'd use less space and could have finer grained revisions.

My recommendation for single system backups is to regularly sync the
data to a couple of USB hard drives and store them in two different
buildings. I know your data probably isn't going to be your biggest
concern if your house burns down but it's fairly easy to store a drive
somewhere else and rotate it with the one in your house every so often.

I think NAS is extra complication (and cost) for not much advantage
unless you want to use it for sharing the files or are using a laptop
and want the backup to happen wirelessly, or have some other reason
beyond backups.