Can I also add that a few of the NAS devices will also run linux - if
memory serves there's a NAS-specific Debian build you can use on a
couple of devices...  have a google - that thing could be routing your
email, acting as a music server, a firewall and store your files
amongst other things - I don't think it will make the tea though...

Pete

On 19/09/2007, Mark Harrison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Backups are not archives in my world :-)
>
> So, relating to the home network, not the work one:
>
> - I have a home network with a few machines
> - All data gets stored on a server
> - I have an external USB hard disk
> - Once an HOUR, the server copies everything over to the USB drive
> (rsync is your friend)
> - Once an hour, at the "other half of the hour", the server copies "work
> info" over to an ultra-low power PC, also running Ubuntu, so I have a
> third copy of that.
>
> Work info is, in round terms, everything except Ripped Audio...
>
> ... so it DOES include my photos, and audio from my own products /
> podcast, etc.
>

> Oh... and I also have two filing cabinets for originals of bank
> statements / mortgage / tax returns / etc. :-)
>

> Mark
>

> David M wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Now that external hard disks are cheap, I'm thinking about getting an
> > external hard disk so that I can keep a backup of my data. In fact, I'm
> > even thinking of getting *two* for alternate use so that if the worst
> > should happen and my system dies while backing up my data I haven't
> > toasted both my data and my sole backup..
> >
> > When it comes to external disks, it seems I have the choice of not only
> > a plain-old hard disk connected via USB, but also the possibility of NAS
> > (networked-attached storage) where the hard disk is connected to my
> > network, and contains a stripped-down OS so that it presents itself as a
> > fileserver (I presume?).
> >
> > Does anybody know how well-supported either of these technologies are in
> > Ubuntu? In particular, I'd also want to format the disk in ext3 format
> > as I have no need or desire for MSWindows filesystems.
> >

> > On the one hand, NAS seems neat, but I don't have a home network, only a
> > cheapo multi-port ADSL modem/router. These things tend to be a bit
> > gnarly (and unfriendly) to set up at the best of times, so I don't know
> > how easy - let alone whether - it would be possible to set the
> > modem/router up to allow my computer to see a NAS disk. And given the
> > horrible potential for unwittingly sharing the contents of a NAS disk
> > with the entire internet, I'd have to be very careful! I gather that it
> > is generally the case that any configuration of the NAS box can usually
> > be done via a browser front-end; obviously any disk which requires
> > Windows software is a no-no.
> >
> > On the other hand, a plain-old USB hard disk seems the simpler option. I
> > would naively assume that as USB is now well-proven technology, these
> > would work just fine with Ubuntu, but is that the case? How easy would
> > it be to automate backups to such a disk? Would it mount with a
> > persistent mount point, or would it change with every unplug or system
> > reboot?
> >

> > Then there is the question of what backup strategy I should actually
> > use. I was assuming that an automated rsync every week would be the
> [...]

'In letters of gold, on a snow-white kite, I will write "I Love You!"
And send it soaring high above you, for all to read!'

RIP Billy M 1957-1997