On Fri, 2007-11-02 at 17:09 +0000, Ian Pascoe wrote:
> Why not look at a cross platform compiler like Mono for instance?  It'd mean
> that when you've written your app, it'd work on your Linux box as well as M$
> etc

<disclaimer>
I've not actively used Mono or .NET actively for development in 12+
months.
</disclaimer>

I think you're overselling Mono there.

Whilst you can make cross platform applications - meaning they can run
in either environment -  using either Mono or .NET, actually doing so is
more difficult especially if you want a GUI. If Mono have improved their
Windows Forms code then you might be able to run your .NET developed app
in Mono, but you either have to explicitly develop for Windows Forms or
install GTK# in Windows to use your Mono app on Windows. The only
practical way to do so is to abstract your UI code completely and
implement it for each platform.

Unfortunately write once, run anywhere just doesn't work for anything
other than simple apps.
--
Dave Murphy - http://www.schwuk.com
Pownce - http://pownce.com/schwuk