norman wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-11-26 at 22:37 +0000, alan c wrote:
>> norman wrote:
>> > I am thinking of adding a second hard drive to my PC on which I would
>> > have Windows for those very few occasions when I need it, like playing
>> > Bridge with my brother. Assuming that is possible what snags should I be
>> > aware of please?
>>
>> If you have just ubuntu on it at present, and then install windows
>> later, wherever, I think all you have to do is re install grub using a
>> live CD and a cli grub sequence in order to reinstate grub after
>> windows installer has overwritten the master boot record. If you do
>> not do this, ubuntu will not normally be available from a boot up menu
>> (grub)
>
> Perhaps I was not clear enough. I do not intend to install Windows on
> the same drive as Ubuntu but on another drive. I understand about one of
> the drives being master and the other slave but does it matter which is
> which?

It does not matter which, as long as windows is installed first I
think - you get less repairing to do then. However, if both drives are
in place in the machine all the time, a later windows install even in
a second drive, however it is set, will overwrite the master boot
record which should also contain the linux booting control. This will
happen if separate drives are used or if simply partitions are used.
If you install windows last, then the linux boot controls (grub) needs
to be repaired and it will also repair the master boot record.

- install windows first then linux = easy, and automatically works.
- install linux first an dwindows last = repair needed to get linux to
boot.
--
alan cocks
Kubuntu user#10391