Hello,

Sorry if I am asking a rather basic question - I think I sort of know
the answer to this one but would like to be sure.

A friend is intending to use my old computer (dual boot with Ubuntu and
Windows ME, 450 MHz, 256 GB RAM, 2 USB ports but no ethernet) for modest
internet access. I have managed to persuade him that it is safer to use
only Ubuntu for the internet, and I have provided a Thomson/Alcatel
Speedtouch modem, for which I have Linux drivers, for use in the
meantime. However, he may get a laptop at some point, in which case a
wireless router might be useful. Has anyone any suggestions as to which
ISP's are most suitable and Linux friendly? One constraint is that it
would be best if the broadband contract does not affect the way in which
phone calls are billed, as he will be using someone else's phone line
(with their consent).

He has been looking at BT and Orange, but has anyone any comments on
PlusNet?

Les.