les wrote:
> wireless router might be useful. Has anyone any suggestions as to which
> ISP's are most suitable and Linux friendly? One constraint is that it

British Telecom's default supplied wireless router seems to work well
with my Dell Ubuntu Linux laptop, but then so does every other wireless
router I've connected to.

For "beginners" I always recommend BT for ADSL, since if there is a
connection problem, they can't blame it on anyone else. Other ISPs, if
you get a connection problem, sometimes they try to fob you off saying
there's a fault on the line, and that it's BT's fault; BT then come back
and say it's the ISP's fault, and so it goes on in circles. Both my
parents and my in-laws use BT broadband and have had zero hassle. Once
my dad reported a connection problem to BT, it turned out to be water
collecting in a cable tray under the pavement over the road, and of
course they sent a man out to dig it up and fix it.

To be honest, once you've set up the wireless router and the wireless
card on the laptop, there is very little other Linux-specific
configuration to be done, so I wouldn't worry about an ISP being
specifically Linux friendly, not for a beginner who isn't going to run
their own servers or so forth.

For more advanced users such as myself, I recommend www.SurfAnyTime.com
. They're a small ISP based in the Isle of Man, but have very good UK
connectivity and bandwidth, very high uptime, offer static IP addresses
at no extra cost, have good download limits for the prices, staff
understand Linux needs such as running SMTP servers from home, and the
staff are happy to "talk tech" direct to customers. Best of all, they
have public support forums where the technical staff - including the
company director himself - take part and answer questions day in, day
out. Doing support in public is great because it makes it easy to figure
out whether everyone else is having the same problem as you! Of course
there is telephone and email support too if you need a little more
privacy (not that email, or telephone for that matter, is particularly
private).

I also recommend my employer www.names.co.uk but due to my declared
interest I won't brag too much. Suffice to say that most of our techs
run Linux or Mac/BSD on our desktops at work, so we're definitely Linux
friendly. We also have real genuine British call centre support staff,
manned until 8pm, with real 01xxx telephone numbers (although we provide
0845 numbers too) actually sitting in England (Worcester), and actually
in the same open-plan office as the techs! I can't guarantee the first
person you speak to on the phone will be a Linux expert, but the second
person... no problem.

--
Andrew Oakley