On Thu, 2008-04-17 at 17:31 +0100, Andrew Oakley wrote:

> Farran Lee wrote:
> > On Thu, 2008-04-17 at 17:06 +0100, andylockran wrote:
> >> So how common is it?  Have you had a motherboard die on you?
> > not as far as I know - I'm only just getting to grips with the hardware
> > side of computing. Is it obvious? Does the mb just not boot at all?
>
> The main problem with motherboard failure is that, unless they really
> just don't boot at all, they're very difficult to spot. Typically I only
> diagnose motherboard failure if I've swapped out everything else for
> known-good spares, and still have a problem. To paraphrase Sherlock
> Holmes, if I rule out everything else, then whatever's left must be the
> problem. Really, though, I wonder if this is purely down to co-incidence
> (did swapping over the motherboard cause me to firmly plug-in something
> that wasn't firmly plugged in before?).
>
> Motherboards can fail in some surprisingly subtle ways, from the
> anecdotes I've heard. If it Just Doesn't Boot then you're relatively
> lucky, at least it's an easy case to RMA. With modern motherboards
> having graphics, LAN and the kitchen sink onboard, whilst being ever
> more cheap, I suppose the chance of failure is higher these days.
>
> My own good luck with motherboards may be down to the fact that I live
> in a rural area with a less than reliable electricity supply (especially
> during windy summer showers, when the leaves on the trees next to the
> electricity cable have grown both bushy and damp). Ergo I always, always
> use a UPS, so I never get spikes or dropouts, which are often the cause
> of fried motherboards.
>
> I have a fifteen-year-old APC PowerUPS 650. I've replaced the battery
> twice, and the onboard timer and battery charge meter died years ago,
> but for your average power cut, It Just Works. I just set apcupsd to
> shutdown gracefully after seven minutes on battery, and my hardware
> rarely fails. Plus, I get enough juice to override the auto-shutdown and
> continue working for half an hour if I need to. I also recommend
> software RAID1 hard drive arrays for riding out that one moment (and
> there is only ever one) when your nine-month-old daughter presses the
> UPS-instant-off button (now obscured with a 5p and some masking tape).
>
> --
> Andrew Oakley

hehe
I swear my sister (9 YEARS) would do that if she didn't know I was doing
coursework...

I mentioned earlier that lots of people had problems with my model mb,
and it still didn't work after RMA, so I might have to pick a different
one. If I did, would I have to completely reinstall the system? Or would
it just need certain fixes?