Quoting Johnathon Tinsley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> ----- "Farran Lee" wrote:
>> not as far as I know - I'm only just getting to grips with the
>> hardware side of computing. Is it obvious? Does the mb just not
>> boot at all?
>>

> I've seen it once, when the capacators fail on a motherboard, its
> pretty much useless. You can tell, by if they bulge at the top, and
> sometimes leak some brown/orange residue (DON'T TOUCH!)
>
> Apparently, there was some industrial sabotage a few years back
> (2000 ish I think) which affected a whole bunch of capacators used
> on motherboards... though this is quite rare...
>
> Johnathon

The Dell GX series suffer from the capacitor problem, and I think the
motherboard is a dell proprietary one, so you basically have to buy a
new machine. Most new boards don't use the older style liquid
capacitors, so don't suffer from this problem.

A dodgy PSU can kill a board, the voltage only needs to be a bit
variable and it can break the whole lot.

I have had a couple of boards go, but then I do have a lot of older
stuff! Some motherboards are DOA, but this is rarer than it used to
be. I have also killed a few from general clumsiness.

A sure fire way of killing a motherboard is to think you have turned
the laptop off, but forgetting that pressing the power button now
brought up a dialouge asking what you wanted to do Then putting said
laptop into its lovely warm padded case for the rest of the day, with
its extended batteries in (It was a old dell with the two battery
bays) with a reasonable amount of charge in both.

Needless to say it was completely toasted, no power on at all.