Chris,

Chris Oattes wrote:
> Tony Arnold said the following on 12/05/08 11:24:
>> Javad,
>>
>> Javad Ayaz wrote:
>>> a laptop would come under that!!!
>> Yep! Just run it on batteries!
>>
>> Tony.
>

> I'm afraid that this isn't the case:
>
> "Do I need a TV Licence if I only watch programmes online?
>
> It makes no difference how you watch TV - whether it's on your laptop,
> PC or mobile phone or through a digital box, DVD recorder or TV set - if
> you use any device to receive television programmes as they're being
> shown on TV, the law requires you to be covered by a TV Licence.
>
> You will not need a TV Licence to view video clips on the internet, as
> long as what you are viewing is not being shown on TV at the same time
> as you are viewing it."
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6loxlw (using tinyurl because the licensing URL is huge)

I agree, but portable devices are covered by your home license and a
portable device is one that does not need mains power. So a student at
University could watch TV on a portable device which would be covered by
his/her parents license back home.

Regards,
Tony.
--
Tony Arnold,                        Tel: +44 (0) 161 275 6093
Head of IT Security,                Fax: +44 (0) 870 136 1004