On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 06:22:07PM +0100, Mac wrote:
> I suspect the cause of my difficulties may at least in part be that my
> NAS drive is formatted FAT32, and therefore does not transfer ownerships
> and permissions;  and, worse yet, I have a different user name on the
> household's main desktop from the one I use on my laptop and my other
> machines.

I just had a play with moving ~/.liferea_1.4 onto the FAT partition in
my laptop and creating a link to it, and it seemed to work fine. I had
a play around running liferea as a different user with a link to the
profile on the FAT drive: that failed the first time I tried it as the
copy on the FAT drive didn't have write permissions for the user I was
running liferea as so I added global read and write permissions to it
and it then worked (so the ownership of the folder doesn't seem to be
an issue, just the permissions).

I don't have a network drive handy to test with but I think it should
still work there. Could you try running liferea from a terminal with
the profile on the network drive and see if it outputs any clues about
what is going wrong?

     Robert