On Wed, 2008-09-03 at 09:32 +0100, Stephen O'Neill wrote:

> Mac wrote:
> > So in my view the risk is not worth the expense.  I have had one or two
> > failures within the first year, and Dell have fixed them for free.  But
> > the *very* few things I've had to get fixed myself within the next three
> > years have cost me nothing like insurance premium Dell charge.
> > (Actually, the only thing I can think of is a NIC that cost less than a
> > tenner.)
>

> I cannot speak for Dell.
>
> My girlfriend bought a Samsung laptop in around 2003. Nothing went wrong
> in the first year, then in years 2 & 3 a problem with the screen
> connector kept recurring, the onboard power supply socket needed
> replacing, and the external power supply connector needed replacing twice.
>
> None of these were through abuse, more design flaws (or revenue
> generating features).

Sorry but I have to stick up for the particular OEM here a little. I
have worked closely with the staff of this OEM and been involved in
meetings with 3 of the designers of a certain product that is shipped
here in the UK. In the first meeting one of the designers of this
product uttered the now immortal words "This product will not break!"
and was very serious, which kind of worried some of us as we were
contracted to repair them if and when they wrong and paid per
repair. :-) Design flaws or revenue generating features are not a
purposeful part of this companies products and great pride by what my
colleagues and I saw in what they create was very evident.

Regards

Phil