On Wed, 2008-09-03 at 10:35 +0100, Jai Harrison wrote:

> What I really want to know is what specs seem suitable for the next 3
> years of Uni. I'm expecting to have to pick some of the higher end
> hardware on the Inspiron 1525 and want some assistance in doing so. Is
> there a substantial difference between the Intel Core™ 2 Duo Processor
> T5550 (1.83 GHz, 667 MHz FSB, 2 MB L2 cache) and the Intel(R) Core™ 2
> Duo Processor T8100 (2.10 GHz, 800 MHz FSB, 3 MB L2 cache) to make it
> worth the extra £70?

I'd think carefully here. What degree are you doing and will you *need*
some windows software? A couple of the departments where I am expect you
to be able to do some things with windows only programs.

I'd check with them what's expected first (and take it with a pinch of
salt) as it may be worthwhile getting a windows machine and dual booting
(or forking out for windows to run in a VM, at which point you want lots
of RAM)

-Matt Daubney