I figured in the end that I'd get the Inspiron 1525 on the Ubuntu Dell
site with the following modifications:

Intel Core™ 2 Duo Processor T5550 (1.83 GHz, 667 MHz FSB, 2 MB L2
cache) - N-Series [add £90.01]
Linux Only, 4Yr In-Home Warranty Support, including evenings and
Saturdays [add £83.40]
Commotion Design Pattern with Custom High-Gloss Finish [add £29.00]
(maybe another design but they're the same price)
15.4" Wide Screen WXGA+ (1440 x 900) Display with TrueLife™ [add £30.00]
2048MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x1024] [add £20.00]

I should be able to sufficiently run Windows XP in a virtual machine
with that if I need to, right? I haven't bought anything just yet
though as I'm giving myself a bit of time to think about it.