I'm very uncomfortable using Apple computers. My friend bought one about 2
years ago, I still struggle to use it. It seems to try to be different so
much, it becomes a little unusable (in my opinion). Case example is (again,
2 years ago) I started college. My girlfriend is an artist, and had to do
some work in Photoshop. She took me up to the art computers to help her get
used to it, and I was utterly confused about how to even OPEN Photoshop!
Then, getting the pictures from her camera was a pain, so we decided to
close the program. I couldn't even work out how to do that...

When people ask me about getting a Mac, I often tell them to instead bring
their laptop in sometime, and I could give them Ubuntu, meaning they get
increased performance, better security, an OS that would do everything they
needed, and wouldnt have to spend £1000 on a Mac. Ubuntu is (obviously) not
Windows, but people who come use my computer get how to do everything
instantly from never having even heard of Linux before. The most anyone has
every been lost is by acidentally switching to another desktop and thinking
everything closed.

I think Ubuntu is so much nicer to switch to, it takes very few brain cells.

2009/1/16 Sean Miller <s...@seanmiller.net>

> On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 1:48 AM, Simon Wears <munkyju...@googlemail.com>
> wrote:
> > Usually I am wary of tempting people to switch, but since it's my mum I
> know
> > Ubuntu will do exactly what she needs without any hiccups (well, non I
> can
> > think of) since all she does is type up work things, and check her emails
> /
> > look for holidays online. And I have to do all the technical work at home
> > anyway, her switching would just mean I can actually say 'just type this
> and
> > hit enter' rather than try remember how to do everything on Windows.
>
> True!!
>
> Anybody else find the rabid desire to be different from Apple to be
> distinctly disconcerting??
>
> Having grown up in a Unix/VT220 environment to find that there is no
> ctrl key and everything is done differently is, to say the least,
> rather "alien".  I mean, ctrl-c to cancel... been there since time and
> memorium... how come Steve Jobs gets to redefine it?
>
> Means that when folks ask me about switching to Macs, which people
> seem to increasingly do, I am rather jaded.  I accept their positives
> but I also am befuddled as to why they seem to have created for their
> converts such a steep learning curve, forcing them to throw out
> everything they are used to and buy into a completely different
> regime.
>
> Sean
>
> --
> ubuntu-uk@lists.ubuntu.com

Simon Wears

munkyju...@gmail.com | http://MunkyJunky.com
Manchester Metropolitan University Computing Student