I know what you mean about the beard and sandals. Just look at a picture
of Richard Stallman -- would you trust a man who looks like that to
create your OS?

Stallman has done much for the free software movement, and I respect him
greatly (for his ideas), but for a newcomer who might see his picture,
his lack of visits to the barber might well be very off-putting, and
gives computing in general a kind of elitist hippy image that the
average person in the street would do anything to avoid.

There is no reason why a person who is friendly with barbers should not
also be good with Ubuntu or running a LUG. I have never been to a LUG,
but mostly because I do not have the time, and their meetings take place
in the evening, when I am working.

Hopefully most people who want to use Ubuntu will see it and its users
in a positive light (regardless of facial hair and footwear).

David King