Michael, Kev,

Thanks for your comments and pointing me to the bug report.

I am using Intrepid 32 bit. The bug report mentions a number of
xorg.conf tweaks so that could be it. I would be interested to see your
xorg.conf, Kev. The following comes up a lot:

Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"

There was a warning about a missing section in xorg.conf when I
activated the driver so that may be it.

Thanks again (I do miss compiz!),

Steve