You could probably go with having MS on the admin network, then Linux or
fre softare on the academic network,

eventually people will filter through who can and want to use
alternatives, then chance will come

problem is MS seem to have a huge marketing budget, and are able to get
stuff like OOXML fast tracked, so against that, we have very little
muscle unless we want to play by some other rules (which we don't)

its a case of education and educating people about the alternatives,
putting up the right arguments, backed by proper refereced resources and
keep going.

Looking at wikipedia office suites entry,  it says ms has something
called groove, (something about collaboration, even though the name
suggests otherwise (some sort of music app perhaps), anyway ubuntu needs
something like this, so people can collaborate on stuff,  via the
desktop,  or does it have it,  if so we need to market those features
and get them to work better with things like open office.

Paul

LeeGroups wrote:
> That's true, but aren't they both adminstrative functions?
>
> How many PC's are there in an average school vs. the average number of
> adminstrative PC's?
>
> Lee
>
> Without wishing to sound like a know-it-all, if the SIMS software uses
> an XML file to control what's used to view files (as per your mail
> below), then XML files can easily be altered... they are straight ASCII
> files which can be edited with Notepad...
>
>> Even if school's don't solely use Windows, they usually have to use it as
>> the main OS, as the AQA exam software only works with Windows, not under
>> Wine; and the SIMS software uses MS Word to view files, which cannot be
>> changed to OpenOffice even on Windows as it's hardcoded into the XML file.

>>> There used to be a saying in the computer industry which was "Nobody
>>> ever got fired for buying IBM".
>>> I think it's shifted to Microsoft. Speaking from experience, most school
>>> "IT department heads" don't know that much about IT.
>>> They perceive it as a 'safe' option to go with MS, every if it costs a
>>> fortune, because "everyone else uses it".
>>>
>>> It's a classic circular argument...
>>>
>>> Lee

- --
Paul Sutton
www.zleap.net
Support Open and ISO standard file formats ISO 26300 odf
http://www.odfalliance.org
Next Linux User Group meet : March 7th : 3pm,  Shoreline Cafe Paignton