Haha, Have you checked that your laptop is plugged in and turned on :)

There is very little reason why you should configure your network
interface before attempting to connect it. I imagine (and would be
disgusted if it didn't) that the BT box runs DHCP and therefore your
laptop should auto connect. Additionally, if you use manual
configuration and get anything wrong, then it wont work so its better to
use auto while trying to figure it out. Once everything is working, you
can then go to manual configuration.

With regards to point 5, this will simply identify that fact that linux
has detected the hardware and is prepared to use it. If you do get
output then we are off to a good start.

Point 6 will print out the current network configuration (to some extent
the status). If you are using DHCP and you see a line something like
eth0 ....
"inet addr:192.168.1.11  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0"
then you know that the network auto-configuration has succeeded, and the
problem might be related to DNS or something. If not, then there is no
TCP/IP connection established.

However if you have configured your network with a static IP address, it
will show these details regardless of TCP/IP state (which again makes it
more difficult to diagnose a problem).