Mornin,' Al.

So you think it's worth using the non-default driver. That means that I
must switch off auto-updates, after reinstalling the non-default driver,
and before going back online, and that I must install DKMS before
switching auto-updates back on,  I guess. Again, I shall think all this
through, very slowly, before doing anything at all ("mull" it, as the
newspapers like to say).

and thanks,

Rowan