2009/3/2 Rowan <rowan.berke...@googlemail.com>:
> One, the thing already installed some of the auto-updates, then got
> stuck, because it had disabled the interface and couldn't download the
> rest, so I shall have to tell it to stop complaining about this fact
> until I am sorted.

Yes, the instructions that Sean and LC provided should get you back
online. Of course you could then install more updates that break it
again, and so you'd need to go through the procedure again. It should
take only about 1 min once you have got your head around the commands.

> Two, in fact, it appears the machine was not purpose designed, with or
> without "bleeding edge chipsets" (lovely phrase!) - it was designed and
> built in Japan to run Vista, and these LinuxCertified people just
> rebranded it.

Pretty much all laptops these days are "designed for vista", and most
linux vendors simply buy those laptops and rebrand/reinstall on them
to get a more acceptable solution.

Of course things are getting better. Canonical and others are testing
hardware and providing feedback both to western
distributors/manufacturers and the original equipment manufacturers in
the far east. Things are a lot better these days than they were a few
years ago.

Some of us were in a Sony store recently and one person put a bootable
Ubuntu linux USB stick in one of the display Sony laptops. It booted
up and everything we tested worked, straight out of the box. Now I'm
not saying everyone should go out and buy Sony kit, but in the past
Sony laptops had been somewhat troublesome in getting working in
Linux. To be able to boot one off a usb stick (or CD/DVD) in a store
and find _everything_ work is quite a mean feat. I'd say it's only
going to get better as companies like Canonical, Novell and Red Hat
test and certify kit.

But then I'm a "glass half full" kinda guy.

Cheers,
Al.