Rowan wrote:

> Al, this is exactly the sort of thing that made me ask over and over for
> hands-on help - which would not only be more likely to succeed but would
> be faster than all this online discussion.
> [...]

Hello, Rowan.

Have you tried booting from a 'live' CD - e.g. the Ubuntu 8.10 CD from a
recent issue of Linux Format Magazine?

This will detect the hardware you have, and use the appropriate modules
compiled for the 'generic' kernel. This is the simplest way of checking
that the current release of Ubuntu supports your hardware. It's also a
good thing to know how to boot from a 'live' CD if you have to 'rescue'
a system that has crashed: Telling us what the 'live' CD boot detects
would help to resolve the problems you've encountered and you might be
helping other people to solve similar problems...

Bye,

        Tony.
--
Dr. A.J.Travis, University of Aberdeen, Rowett Institute of Nutrition
and Health, Greenburn Road, Bucksburn, Aberdeen AB21 9SB, Scotland, UK