I think we have provided immense amounts of information detailing
exactly the commands that Rowan needs to recompile and reinstall his
driver. Either he knuckles down and tries it ...

I already did just that, I believe:

type the following as root or using sudo to rebuild the r8168 driver:
cd /root/lc2000/r8168-8.008.00
make clean modules
make install
depmod -a
reboot

"cd /root/lc2000/r8168-8.008.00" had to be entered without sudo.

"make clean modules" required sudo and gave result as follows:

make -C src/ clean
make[1]: Entering directory `/root/lc2000/r8168-8.008.00/src'
rm -rf *.o *.ko *~core* .dep* .*.d .*.cmd *.mod.c *.a *.s .*.flags .tmp_version
s Module.symvers Modules.symvers *.order
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/lc2000/r8168-8.008.00/src'
make -C src/ modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/root/lc2000/r8168-8.008.00/src'
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.24-23-generic/build SUBDIRS=/src modules
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-23-generic'
scripts/Makefile.build:41: src/Makefile: No such file or directory
make[3]: *** No rule to make target `src/Makefile'.  Stop.
make[2]: *** [_module_/src] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-23-generic'
make[1]: *** [modules] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/lc2000/r8168-8.008.00/src'
make *** [modules] Error 2