On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 10:32 PM, Tim Dobson <li...@tdobson.net> wrote:
> Alan Pope wrote:
>> 2009/3/15 Matthew Macdonald-Wallace <matt...@truthisfreedom.org.uk>:
>>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/11/10/highfield_quits_kangaroo/
>>>
>>> Ashley Highfield (Ex-BBC Iplayer boss) now works for MS.  I seem to
>>> recall that the latest appointee of the BBC's media division is an ex
>>> MS UK employee.
>>>

>> I wonder how many potential recruits to that role, at that level, with
>> the necessary experience would also fall into the group "have once
>> worked at Microsoft".
>>
>>> If you use Flash (or AIR which seems to run perfectly on Ubuntu for
>>> iPlayer and Google Analytics) then cross-platform gaming should be easy.
>>>

>> As a parent I can testify that the _vast_ majority of kids content on
>> the BBC website is indeed already in various versions of flash. Some
>> older video is real format but that's gone out of fashion of late.
>>
>> Of course neither of those platforms are open, but then if you're
>> downloading a closed source game from bbc.co.uk, all bets are off in
>> terms of 'I only want free software on my computers'. Fail at multiple
>> levels there.
>>
>> What the BBC _should_ be doing of course is commissioning new Free
>> software projects. Rather than having great swathes of code on their
>> site that nobody can improve upon, and will eventually die off and
>> become unusable when the various versions of flash, air, real (and so
>> on) are no longer supported by the vendors.
>
> Sorry but I have to defend the bbc here.
>
> firstly bbc.co.uk/opensource  - dirac video codec is free software at
> the beebs hands as is kamelia - the python framework and other things.
>
> There are people in the BBC who are doing amazing work promoting free
> software and open standards within the organisation - this needs to be
> recognised in discussions like this.
>
> One example that springs particularly in my mind:
> http://welcomebackstage.com/2008/11/george-wright-responds-to-backstage-questions/
>
> There are policy makers and content producers who cause big problems for
> free software advocates in the beeb - these are the people who writing
> to people get to (also write to content producers association who are
> equally to blame for DRM and subsequently Adobe Air etc.)
>
> If you have some cool technical ideas though, you might be interested in
> the BBC Backstage mailing list or the Backstage Idea thingy:

> http://ideas.welcomebackstage.com/
>
> There are good people in the BBC, lets try and work with them rather
> than flaming the organisation... :)
>
> <teflon suit> :)
>
> Cheers
>
> Tim
>
> --
> www.tdobson.net
> ----
> If each of us have one object, and we exchange them, then each of us
> still has one object.
> If each of us have one idea, and we exchange them, then each of us now
> has two ideas.   -  George Bernard Shaw

> [...]
Yes, I don't think all of the flaming towards the BBC is entirely
justifyable in the case of the Adventure Rock game/virtual world. Yes,
it is proprietary, that's bad. Also, it isn't multiplatform, that's
bad. However, would it have been possible to create such a thing in an
entirely FOSS manner? For a start you couldn't use Directx, which many
games are built upon. From looking around a bit it appears to use an
engine shared with a belgian game of a similar style, written by
Larian studios. Now presumably this was used as a basis for the
Adventure Rock game, it certainly looks similar and Wikipedia claims
they were developed in collaboration. How much would it have cost to
write from scratch in a FOSS manner, or using an existing FOSS engine?
There is project darkstar, but that isn't really a complete solution,
and doesn't appear to be ready for primetime. According to various
sources, the cost of the game is £250,000, which is a splash in the
BBC's budget. It is also not that expensive in game terms.

Additionally, according to the BBC, the project seems to be part of a
trial, so spending a large amount of time writing their own would have
been too expensive/difficult.
Mj