Rob Beard wrote:
>> I'm looking to offer a base unit, 2GHz dual core Celeron (E1400) with
>> 2GB DDR2 PC2-6400 RAM, and a 150GB SATA hdd. Graphics, sound and
>> ethernet are onboard. Like I said, I would install Ubuntu 8.10 (and,
>> of course, ubuntu 9.04 when it's released!) and run through the
>> update utility. I understand there are issues regarding selling a
>> Ubuntu PC with non-free applications pre-installed (e.g. medibuntu)
>> so I assume I will have to leave them off, but perhaps give advice
>> to those who need it.
>>
>> I have a price in mind for this machine (including UK mainland
>> delivery) - but I'm curious to hear what other people think might be
>> a fair price for it.
>>
>> If you can help me I'd really appreciate it. If not, I apologise for
>> transgressing!
>>
>> Thank you for your time
>>
>> Eddie
>>

> Um... as far as I know there aren't any restrictions on shipping
> Non-Free codecs in this country (I believe there are some issues in
> the states).
>
> Going on that spec I'd say maybe £250 to £300 would be fairly
> reasonable (considering you'd need to make a bit of money on it).

Let be honest though. A slightly higher spec model (250gb disk) with Vista will
set you back £228.34 delivered (http://www.ebuyer.com/product/159369) so without
the licence of Vista one would expect a slightly lower price. Also the Dell
offers that pop up now and again blow this price out of the water.

I would like to see this kind of spec at the £200 mark, anything much above and
I think you could be struggling.

> Rob

Regards,
Jamie