On 25/03/2009 10:24, Jamie Bennett wrote:
> Rob Beard wrote:
>
>>> I'm looking to offer a base unit, 2GHz dual core Celeron (E1400) with
>>> 2GB DDR2 PC2-6400 RAM, and a 150GB SATA hdd. Graphics, sound and
>>> ethernet are onboard. Like I said, I would install Ubuntu 8.10 (and,
>>> of course, ubuntu 9.04 when it's released!) and run through the
>>> update utility. I understand there are issues regarding selling a
>>> Ubuntu PC with non-free applications pre-installed (e.g. medibuntu)
>>> so I assume I will have to leave them off, but perhaps give advice
>>> to those who need it.
>>>
>>> I have a price in mind for this machine (including UK mainland
>>> delivery) - but I'm curious to hear what other people think might be
>>> a fair price for it.
>>>
>>> If you can help me I'd really appreciate it. If not, I apologise for
>>> transgressing!
>>>
>>> Thank you for your time
>>>
>>> Eddie
>>>

>> Um... as far as I know there aren't any restrictions on shipping
>> Non-Free codecs in this country (I believe there are some issues in
>> the states).
>>
>> Going on that spec I'd say maybe £250 to £300 would be fairly
>> reasonable (considering you'd need to make a bit of money on it).
>>

> Let be honest though. A slightly higher spec model (250gb disk) with Vista
> will
> set you back £228.34 delivered (http://www.ebuyer.com/product/159369) so
> without
> the licence of Vista one would expect a slightly lower price. Also the Dell
> offers that pop up now and again blow this price out of the water.
>
> I would like to see this kind of spec at the £200 mark, anything much above
> and
> I think you could be struggling.

But eBuyer have some amazing buying power (their trade prices what they
pay  are even cheaper than their online prices - I sure do miss that
when I worked at eBuyer a couple of years back) and again Dell have
serious buying power too.  I doubt they'd be shelling out £60 for a copy
of Windows.

To give a comparison, I built a Phenom X4 system with 2GB Ram, 250GB
hard drive (onboard video and sound) for about £200 all in buying bits
from Aria.  I made about £15 on the system when I sold it on which
really didn't cover the build and testing time I spent on it.  There
doesn't seem to be any margins on PCs these days unless you can either
offer some added value (such as on-site support if you're selling PCs
locally) or have the buying power to buy multiple components at cheap
prices.

Rob