Eddie Bernard wrote:

> I think the market conditions are pretty difficult at the moment, too.
> Understandably, perhaps, but then again I would have thought if
> anything the lower end of the market would be attracting more
> customers trying to get a cheap PC. Or maybe people just aren't buying
> PCs at all right now. I know eBay is no great source of information on
> this, but if you look at the completed listings in the desktop
> section, you'll see dozens of PCs every day going unsold.

I have enough computers, not buying any more for a while, but I would
love a linux-based version of Apple's Time Capsule. Something *really*
simple, that requires little or no set up, just plug it in and let it
back everything up. Even better if it had a broadband modem built in
(Time Capsule is missing this, and El Reg complained:
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/03/23/review_networking_wireless_router_apple_time_capsule/
)

I might also pay for a media centre, for similar plug n play reasons:
building this stuff is lots of fun, but also time consuming. Apple's
attraction is the ease of use, but the price (sometimes) and the lock-in
(iTunes, Mail.app, both limited and hacker-unfriendly) can be a deal
breaker.

£0.02

John

--