On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 6:44 AM, Alan Bell
<alan.b...@theopenlearningcentre.com> wrote:
> to offer a contrary view I would always go for the latest released
> version fully updated. The customer is likely to update it anyway, or
> think they are not getting the newest and shinyest operating system
> otherwise. LTS is arguably better for servers or corporate desktop
> rollouts (if you don't have landscape or any management tools) but for
> sellability to geeks and others go for new and shiny. If you can launch
> on April 23rd with Jauny pre-installed you might get a burst of
> interest. (was thinking of doing that myself)

I completely agree with that... as you say, the customer is likely to
upgrade anyway and that has the potential to break the thing... better
to install the latest release, fully test it to ensure it works and
then you know that they have 6 months of relatively "plain sailing" at
least... we had that thread a week or two ago with Rowan and his
networking which was caused by a supplier having to install
non-standard drivers due to something (the kernel version?) in 8.04...
that's after less than 12 months...

8.04 will cease to be supported (desktop) in April 2011, 9.04 will
cease to be supported in October 2010... we're getting to the point
here where there isn't actually a great deal of difference.

Sean