On Thu, 2009-03-26 at 07:45 +0000, Sean Miller wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 6:44 AM, Alan Bell
> <alan.b...@theopenlearningcentre.com> wrote:
> > to offer a contrary view I would always go for the latest released
> > version fully updated. The customer is likely to update it anyway, or
> > think they are not getting the newest and shinyest operating system
> > otherwise. LTS is arguably better for servers or corporate desktop
> > rollouts (if you don't have landscape or any management tools) but for
> > sellability to geeks and others go for new and shiny. If you can launch
> > on April 23rd with Jauny pre-installed you might get a burst of
> > interest. (was thinking of doing that myself)
>
> I completely agree with that... as you say, the customer is likely to
> upgrade anyway and that has the potential to break the thing... better
> to install the latest release, fully test it to ensure it works and
> then you know that they have 6 months of relatively "plain sailing" at
> least... we had that thread a week or two ago with Rowan and his
> networking which was caused by a supplier having to install
> non-standard drivers due to something (the kernel version?) in 8.04...
> that's after less than 12 months...
>
> 8.04 will cease to be supported (desktop) in April 2011, 9.04 will
> cease to be supported in October 2010... we're getting to the point
> here where there isn't actually a great deal of difference.
>
> Sean

Looking at the hardware, you're looking at about 110-130 plus 20 for
national delivery plus a bit for you so lets say 180 a unit-ish.

As for everything else Mr Pope is correct get onto Canonical for
permission to use the ubuntu branding if nothing else.  If I recall you
have to send a sample machine in to canonical but again chase that up
with them after all they know.

--
Seek That Thy Might Know

http://www.davmor2.co.uk