Interesting discussion.

People are saying "a Linux PC should be cheaper than Windows" and - as
I've said before - I am firmly of the view that this is a perception
that we should seek to correct.  The "free" in Linux is NOT as in
beer, and time and time again we keep reverting to this concept that
it in some way is.

The public are prone to make assumptions on the worth of a product
based on its price.  Let's face it - if you walk into a supermarket
and look at the Baked Bean counter and know you *can* afford the Heinz
are you going to buy the "Tesco Value"?  Now it may be that the "Tesco
Value" is actually better than the Heinz, but it's so much cheaper
that the brain says "hang on... clearly inferior..." and it is passed
over.

Linux is not like that.  And we need to FIGHT to correct this
erroneous assumption.

I think that the problem you're going to have selling Linux PCs to the
mass market is that most people going out to buy a PC are likely to
pay a bit extra for Windows, because "that's what their mates have"
and they know what they're getting - Ubuntu is an "unknown", and
uncertainty puts people off.  Apple are managing to keep an
alternative stream going, but their Mac stuff has taken a quite
different direction to Windows with "sexy" PCs etc.  Buying an OS-X
machine these days is becoming quite a "fashion" thing.  We don't have
"known" and we don't have "fashion" on our side, therefore we have to
have something else.

In Tesco one can buy a laptop for around £299, with Vista (albeit the
Home Basic).   Base units for desktop computing are less than £200,
with specifications which (though low by today's "benchmarks") would
have cost thousands not many years ago.  I am not convinced that
pre-installed Ubuntu on a desktop is a market that will ever appeal to
the masses and I am fairly sure that it is not something that is
likely to be particularly profitable.  Unless you're selling locally
you have to factor in postage, insurance etc. too which - again - the
"big boys" have the edge on.

Sean