Eddie Bernard wrote:
> 2009/3/25 Jamie Bennett <ja...@linuxuk.org>:
>> Steve Cook wrote:
>>> Here's your competition http://efficientpc.co.uk/
>>
>> The Wraith, same system with 2gb of ram - £232.61. Nice looking little system
>> there.
>
> Great - I can definitely beat that and by some way. I can't tell
> whether this machine at this price includes a CD/DVD rewriter, I
> forgot to mention earlier that my machine does contain one of those.
>
> Any more? :-)

Who are your end user target population?

I regularly display (infopoint  -information re foss and ubuntu) at a
local computer fair.
The attenders at the computer fairs are mostly well informed PC users
and I talk to many who want to and are trying (ubuntu) initially.
However they still struggle with many basic questions. But they are
installing it themselves into unknown machines. Unfortunately they are
not very likely to yet be users of discussion forums such as this one.
Some are very keen to escape from windows.

What comes to my mind is that on occasions when I have provided a pre
installed machine to close friends, it is the general support and
occasional detailed support from me which is of great value, more than
the machine itself. These friends are not people who would be
comfortable with, say, this list. But they would probably pay for
suitable personal support over time.

If you are selling hardware with known linux suitability then well
seasoned users like myself might be certainly interested, just to know
that certain hardware is ubuntu suitable and get some information and
subsequent (list based?) support hopefully.

However, I would be a very different type of customer to the elderly
lady I met on a cruise up the norwegian coast who was set on buying an
Asus eee (901 I think) after seeing them in a newspaper report, and
she would probably never want to install anything herself.

As you say, if you intend to compete on hardware costs alone there is
a lot of competition. Less competition and more welcomed market
possibly if you consider certain levels of information/support.

--
alan cocks
Ubuntu user. No viruses were harmed in sending this message.