doug livesey wrote:
> Hi -- I already remotely administrate a PC for my Mum & one for my
> Dad, and both are Windows machines.
> So LogMeIn.com <http://LogMeIn.com> is perfect for those.
> However, I am setting up an Ubuntu machine for my brother that will
> also require remote administration, and was wondering about the best
> way to set that up.
> Unfortunately, LogMeIn.com only works for Mac and Windows.
> Could anyone offer any advice?
> Cheers,
>    Doug.
There is the option to connect to a remote desktop (System, Preferences,
Remote Desktop) which would probably work.  IIRC it also now supports
encrypted connections (although I haven't personally tried that).  As
far as I can tell the only issue is the user would have to be logged in
for it to work.  You can also specify that they accept the connection
(just for that added bit of security, you could tell them not to accept
it unless you call them).

You would need to forward some ports on the router and it would probably
be a good idea to setup a Dynamic DNS account for them (the router
should normally support dyndns.org) to make life easier connecting if
they are on a dynamic IP.

Hope this helps.

Rob